What the Qur'an says about Joseph - Yusuf
Note: there is an entire Surah (chapter 12) of the Qur'an named after Yusuf.
He is also mentioned in two other places.
- 6:84 And We bestowed to him Ishaq and Yaqub, all We guided. And Nuh, We guided from before; and of his descendents, Dawood and Sulaiman and Ayyub and Yusuf and Musa and Harun. And thus We reward the good-doers.
- 12:4 When said Yusuf to his father, "O my father! Indeed, I I saw one ten (i.e eleven) star(s) and the sun and the moon; I saw them to me prostrating."
- 12:7 Certainly were in Yusuf and his brothers signs for those who ask.
- 12:9 Kill Yusuf or cast him (to) a land so will be free for you (the) face (of) your father, and you will be from after that a people righteous."
- 12:10 Said a speaker among them, "(Do) not kill Yusuf but throw him in the bottom (of) the well, will pick him some [the] caravan if you are doing."
- 12:11 They said, "O our father! Why (do) you not trust us with Yusuf, while indeed, we (are) for him surely well-wishers?
- 12:8 When they said, "Surely Yusuf and his brother (are) more beloved to our father than we, while we (are) a group. Indeed, our father (is) surely in an error clear.
- 12:17 They said, "O our father! Indeed, we [we] went racing each other and we left Yusuf with our possessions, and ate him the wolf. But not you (will) believe us, even if we are truthful."
- 12:21 And said the one who bought him of Egypt to his wife, "Make comfortable his stay. Perhaps that (he) will benefit us or we will take him (as) a son." And thus We established Yusuf in the land that We might teach him from (the) interpretation of the events. And Allah (is) Predominant over His affairs, but most (of) the people (do) not know.
- 12:29 Yusuf, turn away from this. And ask forgiveness for your sin. Indeed, you are of the sinful."
- 12:46 Yusuf, O the truthful one! Explain to us about (the) seven cows fat eating them seven lean ones, and seven ears (of corn) green and other dry, that I may return to the people so that they may know."
- 12:51 He said, "What (was) your affair when you sought to seduce Yusuf from himself?" They said, Forbid Allah!" Not we know about him any evil." Said (the) wife (of) Aziz, "Now (is) manifest the truth. I sought to seduce him from himself, and indeed, he (is) surely of the truthful.
- 12:56 And thus We established [to] Yusuf in the land to settle therein where ever he willed. We bestow Our Mercy (on) whom We will. And not We let go waste (the) reward (of) the good-doers.
- 12:69 And when they entered upon Yusuf, he took to himself his brother. He said, "Indeed, I [I] am your brother so (do) not grieve for what they used (to) do."
- 12:76 So he began with their bags before (the) bag (of) his brother; then he brought it out from (the) bag (of) his brother. Thus (did) We plan for Yusuf. Not he could take his brother by the law (of) the king, except that willed Allah We raise (in) degrees whom We will, but over every possessor (of) knowledge (is) the All-Knower.
- 12:58 And came (the) brothers (of) Yusuf and they entered upon him; and he recognized them, but they not knew him.
- 12:77 They said, "If he steals - then verily stole a brother of his from before." But kept it secret Yusuf within himself, and (did) not reveal it to them. He said, "You (are the) worse (in) position, and Allah knows best of what you describe."
- 12:80 So when they despaired of him, they secluded themselves (in) private consultation. Said the eldest among them, "Do not you know that your father, indeed has taken upon you a promise by Allah, and from before that you failed concerning Yusuf? So never will I leave the land until permits me my father or decides Allah for me, and He (is) the Best (of) the judges.
- 12:84 And he turned away from them and said, "Alas, my grief over Yusuf!" And became white his eyes from the grief, and he (was) a suppressor.
- 12:85 They said, "By Allah, you will not cease remembering Yusuf until you become fatally ill or become of those who perish."
- 12:87 O my sons! Go and inquire about Yusuf and his brother, and not despair of (the) Mercy (of) Allah. Indeed, none despairs of (the) Mercy (of) Allah except the people the disbelievers."
- 12:89 He said, "Do you know what you did with Yusuf and his brother, when you were ignorant?"
- 12:90 They said, "Are you indeed, surely you, Yusuf?" He said, "I am Yusuf and this (is) my brother. Indeed, has been gracious Allah to us. Indeed, he who fears Allah and (is) patient, then indeed, Allah (does) not let go waste (the) reward (of) the good-doers."
- 12:94 And when departed the caravan, said their father, "Indeed, I [I] find (the) smell (of) Yusuf, if not that you think me weakened in mind.
- 12:99 Then when they entered upon Yusuf, he took to himself his parents and said, "Enter Egypt if wills Allah, safe."
- 40:34 And indeed, came to you Yusuf from before with clear proofs, but not you ceased in doubt about what he brought to you [with it], until when he died, you said, "Never will raise Allah from after him a Messenger." Thus, lets go astray Allah who [he] (is) a transgressor, a doubter."
G. Waleed Kavalec
- Your support helps pay our hosting costs, and
- with a little bit extra -
lets us pay transcribers and proofreaders.
If you can help, Click here to become a Patreon: patreon IslamAwakened