The First English Translation of the Quran (Koran) by an American Woman
This translation can be purchase in physical book form here:
The Sublime Quran
How does this translation of the Qur'an by Dr. Laleh Bakhtiar, differ from other English translations?
- It is an universal, inclusive translation with no parenthetical expressions
- The translation has internal consistency and reliability
- There is a different English equivalent for each Arabic grammatical form
- Words not appearing in the Arabic but necessary for English are in italics
- The translation is presented line by line and not verse by verse
- Symbols for how a line is recited in Arabic are placed at the end of a line
- Reverts 4:34 and “to beat” back to its original interpretation meaning “to go away”
DISCLAIMER: While this translation was done by an American woman, it is not to create a gender divide.